Monday, November 16, 2009

Wedding photography: World's most bizzare business

The general notion of a business is an activity to obtain financial gain i.e getting money but that holds true for most of the businesses of the world EXCEPT wedding photography. Why I said this is because to some photographer this business is a zero-profit activity. i encountered a rather experienced photographer who have accomplished in a variety of commercial photography who are venturing into wedding photography, not at all surprising move in the photography world. Its only when I found out about his prices that gave me the shock of my life. It's dirt cheap, seriously. I thought a guy with his kind of skill would charge premium for his services. Is it because the demand of photography services in the corporate/advertising sector have dwindled so much due to the current economic slump have forced these photographers to take up wedding photography. If this is the case then the already-overcrowded genre of wedding photography will take a serious hit and with the super-cheap rates the full-timers will have no chance of competing. I did not have the chance to ask this guy his reasons whether he really loves the field or are just doing it for money. Money in terms of pennies instead of pounds.
This is a very tough time for a professional photographer I guess.